Thursday 23 April 2015

Soil Type, Knitting: Cabling and Russian Join

1. Cabling

I did my first bit of cabling today. I cast on 20 stitches, then four rows as follows

  1. knit
  2. (knit 2 purl 4)* knit 2
  3. knit
  4. (knit 2 purl 4)* knit 2

then I followed the instructions from New Stitch a Day to make the cable four behind (C4B) in the positions given below

  1. (knit 2, cable 4 behind)* knit 2
  2. (knit 2 purl 4)* knit 2

and then I repeated all six rows another two times before casting off to make my sample.

2. Garden Soil

To see what type of garden soil you have you can use a screw top jar. You half fill it with soil, then top up with water leaving an inch gap at the top. Shake well and then leave over night. The sand, silt and clay will separate out into layers.

3. Russian Join

Another problem I have with knitting is joining in new yarn. Russian join is a secure way to join in new yarn with minimum fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment