Friday 8 May 2015

Memory, Flour Dust, Soya in bread

Memory

We remember pictures far better than we remember things we read so it's more effective to produce information in pictures than in words. The brain has to convert the words to meanings and the meanings to pictures in order for us to remember them. I have a great deal of trouble remembering formulae so when I think of Pythagoras' Theorem, I see a triangle and I think of the two shorter sides coming together to give the longer side. The only word involved it "squaring" and I don't think of that as an image of a square, just squaring and then arrows bringing the sides together.

Similarly, to remember how to calculate sine, cosine and tan of an angle in a right angled triangle I have a visual relationship of the sides. Cosine is like a snapping jaw where the angle is between the jaws, sine is that side way over there (opposite) divided by the longest side (hypotenuse), and tangent is that side over there divided by this close one here. At some point, I tried to learn SOH CAH TOA but I can't work out the letters so to type that I had to think what sides were involved so I knew which letters they were. I do however remember that tan = sin/cos and sin/cos looks right but cos/sin doesn't.

Flour Dust

Flour dust is combustable and a spark can ignite it. Trucks carrying flour have to be earthed to prevent static build up and thus explosions in the confined environment. A truck load of flour (twenty-eight tonnes) will produce about sixty thousand loaves of bread!

Soya in Bread

Soya is added to bread to make it whiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment